Sunday, September 11, 2011

Summer Isn't Over Yet!

The air is dryer with a decided nip to it. The green leaves are slowly fading and turning crisp on the edges. The wind has picked up and the mosquitoes have disappeared from my back yard. It is starting to feel like autumn. This time of year I start to get excited for sweatshirts, football, apples, squash, pumpkins, and roasting marshmallows over a camp fire. Somebody slow me down! Summer isn't over yet.

No matter what season I am in, I always yearn for the next one. Except maybe winter. Snow is pretty and all, but I hate the bitter cold that comes with it. During the heat of the summer, I yearn for fall. During the dreary cold of winter, I can't wait for spring to arrive. I don't know why I can't just slow down and enjoy the present.

So in a bid to do just that, I am going to enjoy every summer day until September 22nd, which is the first day of  Autumn this year. I don't care if we get an early freeze, I am doing summer things for the next 11 days.  I'm not going to eat so much as a single apple.

Today I made a peach cobbler. Peach season is grinding to a halt, but you may still be able to find some fresh ones for super cheap. One of the highlights of my summer were the farm fresh local peaches sold for ninety-nine cents a pound at the store a few blocks from my house. I ate them plain, put them on pancakes, oatmeal, made freezer jam, and now a cobbler.

I had trouble finding a recipe that I liked. I wanted one that was fast and easy. Oh yeah, and delicious. Can't forget that. I browsed the internet and couldn't find one that caught my fancy. Instead, I found one that had a deliciously easy cake topping, but you were supposed to fold raspberries into it. Someone described it as a "buckle" in the reviews. What the heck is a buckle? Guess I'll have to make one of those next. Okay, I'm getting off topic. My point is, I combined two recipes to fit the ingredients I had on hand and the amount of time I wanted to put into it. Here it is:

Ingredients

Topping
     4 cups flour
     2 cups sugar
     5 teaspoons baking powder
     1 teaspoon salt
     6 tbsp. butter, melted
     1 1/3 cup milk
     2 beaten eggs

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine wet ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients. Voila. That's it.

Peach Filling
     6 or 7 fresh peaches sliced
     2 tsp lemon juice
     1/4 cup sugar
     1/4 cup brown sugar
     1 tsp cinnamon
     1/4 tsp ground nutmeg.

Combine dry ingredients. Sprinkle lemon juice on peaches. Add dry mixture and toss peaches to coat. Also, most people peel their peaches, but I didn't want to spend the time or have the hassle of that. To be honest, I didn't even notice when I ate the cobbler. It tasted wonderful and I forgot all about the skins. So save yourself some aggravation and skip the peeling process.

Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Spread peaches over the bottom. Spoon batter over the top. It doesn't have to look pretty, and if there are holes, great! The peach juice will bubble up through them.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. At this point you'll have to check on it every 10 minutes to see if it is done in the center. All ovens are different and mine took about an hour and a half of total bake time. When it was done, it was golden brown and crispy on top.

Now this makes A LOT of cobbler. Nick claims it is the best peach cobbler he has ever eaten. To be fair though, he is the least picky eater I have ever met and easily pleased. I was still very flattered though.

I hope you enjoy the rest of summer, as well as some peach cobbler!

No comments:

Post a Comment