Saturday, August 13, 2011

Too Much Stuff

I have too much stuff. Things that sit around my house and are never used. Books on the shelf that I never read. DVDs that I don't even like. Gifts from friends and family that we have kept purely out of guilt. Some things stay in boxes for years. It just adds stress to my life. More things to clean. More disorder to look at.


So I've decided to have a yard sale. I'm 28 years old and have never hosted a yard sale before. There is something almost un-American about that. This past week I have been systematically going through my house and  pulling out items that I don't need. I don't get attached to objects very much. Nick is the softy in this house. I am relentless. Slowly the pile in our basement is growing.

Once this stuff is gone, I am going to be much more careful about what I let back into my house. If there is a movie or book that I really like, I'll check it out from the library. Not only will this cut down on possessions, but it will also save us money, which is something that I just love to do. The hard part will be birthdays and holidays. The time of year when toys and clothes start pouring in. Believe me, Ada has more toys than any child should have. More than she knows what to do with. Don't get me wrong, we are very grateful for the gifts, it just seems so wasteful sometimes.

So I've made a decision. Every thing we own should be loved or used regularly. No more cluttered shelves collecting dust. No more over stuffed closets. I want to be able to find what I need and find it quickly. I want to be able to breathe.




2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, its so true. I am dealing with this same thing right now due to the whole moving thing. Why do I have so much stuff? Unfortunately, this base is not a very good place to have a yard sale or I would LOVE to do that, so I am just donating my things to several charities. I think it is a bit silly how many toys children are given nowadays as well. Maybe whomever would like to could contribute to a college fund or a savings account for the kids instead? Well, just a thought. Carry on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on, Ella. All that money spent on toys could be put to much better use. But it seems rude to ask for money instead. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach that one.

    ReplyDelete