Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just Slow Down

Nick and I love to take walks in the evening. We just meander around the neighborhood with no goal in mind. I used to think we were walking for exercise so I didn't have much patience with Ada's slow progress. Her constant stops to poke at a rock drove me nuts. It also didn't help that I kept checking my phone to make sure we would get home in time for the kids to go to bed. I always felt like I was in a hurry. Instead of relaxing me, these walks were actually stressing me out!

I'm not sure how it happened, but I knew I had to make some changes. So one evening I said to myself, "Who cares!" I left my cell phone at home and we let Ada pick which direction she wanted to go. (She almost always picks the same way, but that's okay.)

We live in a very quiet neighborhood so Ada is able to wander all over the street and into people's front yards. She may stare at a leaf for five minutes or run like a crazy woman after some rabbits. It just doesn't matter. What matters is the joy it brings her. And the joy it brings Nick and I to watch her discover her world.
So now we have no goal. No plan. Nick and I get to catch up with each other and Ada exhausts herself. Joe usually ends up sleeping in his daddy's arms. Yes, his bedtime is right around the corner, but that doesn't matter either. It'll all work out.





No comments:

Post a Comment